Wednesday 8 August 2012

Burton Beaten as Austin and Peltier make debuts.


Leeds United concluded pre-season on Tuesday night with an unbeaten record. The 1-0 victory over Burton Albion was our sixth victory in seven games and whilst all the opposition were of a lower standard then the Npower Championship, pre-season is a time for regaining fitness and bonding as a group. The results were a huge bonus and as Warnock said himself, the lads will no doubt be pumped up for the Shrewsbury fixture and more importantly the Wolves opener.

I’m always optimistic for the season opener, it’s a new start and no matter how bad the pre-season or the outlook seems I can’t help but be excited for a new season and what that may bring. But I’m still undecided about how we will perform this season and where we will ultimately finish. In my eyes the defence is vastly improved on last season. The addition of Peltier, who reports suggest had a good debut and Adam Drury will give us much needed pace in the full back positions. That is something that I can’t remember having on both sides of defence since I’ve supported Leeds. Whilst the addition of Pearce will no doubt shore up the defence with his never say die attitude. I believe he will bring on Tom Lees considerably too and I’m hoping they can both be rock solid this season. I think we still need another defender for back up with Kisnorbo being the only recognised back up in truth. I know we have White who can play left back and Lees and Peltier who can play multiple positions, but that’s not enough.

The midfield is lacking in the creative, attacking quality we had last season. However I think we will be harder to beat this season and that will hopefully start with the midfield stopping attacks where they begin. Austin will be vital for this if he adapts to the English game quick enough. Wolves will be a much harder test then Burton Albion so I’m hoping he produces the goods when it comes to the crunch. Norris hasn’t had a full pre season, so I don’t know if I expect him to start much at the beginning of the season, Green has shown glimpses of creativity and if he can set up the attacks whilst getting stuck in on the tackling side I’ll be happy. We all know what Michael Brown does and if he can stay out of the book (wishful thinking I know) he could surprise us this season, who knows. Warnock knows him well and even if he doesn’t impress on the pitch, his influence on the rest of the squad could prove invaluable. Robbie Rogers seemed to start pre-season well but hasn’t got much game time in recent weeks. I for one would like him to be given more of a chance. As for Pugh, well Pugh’s.....Pugh.

Ross McCormack and Luciano Becchio are key this season. Their partnership needs to be blossoming from day one, and they need to be banging those goals in. McCormack can create a chance out of anything and loves a shot, whilst Becchio is probably the best header of a ball in the opposition’s box I’ve seen at Leeds. Andy gray hasn’t exactly lit up the games he’s played in, but is apparently one of the fittest at the club so should give his all. Somma should be back around October- December time, but I’m not sure he’ll be the same player. He suffered a similar injury to the one that finished off Bridges and the omens don’t look good.

The youngsters have looked promising with Sam Byram and Dominic Poleon impressing. As Warnock has said himself, I think the youngsters will feature quite heavily this season, so let’s hope their youthful exuberance and ability can help us across the line this season. We need a tricky winger, a striker and another defender, and then I’ll be more confident in our ability to win games and challenge this season. Let’s hope Warnock gets his icing and his cherries to finish off his sturdy looking, but rather plain cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment